A common objection to Physical Therapy we hear far too often is, “I’ll wait to start PT until my pain settles down.” We also frequently hear, “I’m in too much pain to be able to tolerate exercise, so PT isn’t right for me.”
One of the most common misconceptions about Physical Therapy is that it only consists of exercises and stretches to heal your injury. Sure, we will help people physically move and most likely provide care via exercise, but there are many more tools and treatment methods we provide to help people in pain.
One such example is kinesiology tape. This is the colorful tape strips that you may have seen before on the shoulders, back, knees and/or ankles of athletes. It’s a great tool to help athletes continue to play the sport they love.
But, kinesiology tape is not just for people who play sports. More times than not, we’re using kinesiology tape to help people beyond the athlete. People like your co-worker, your friend…people like you. Whether it’s used to help people get through their workday in less pain, stay active with their kids and/or continue to enjoy exercise and outdoor activities…
Kinesiology tape is an extremely safe and minimalistic approach to helping reduce pain, restore mobility and get you back to doing the things in life you love!
What is Kinesiology Tape?
Kinesiology tape, K-Tape, etc. is a special tape utilized by a physical therapist to help your body move and to help reduce pain. After you’ve received a comprehensive assessment from a physical therapist, they will make the determination if kinesiology tape is right for you. The process is very quick and easy. The tape gets applied directly over the skin, and you continue to remain active with the help of the tape.
How can it help?
- Reduce pain and inflammation
- Provide support and stability to weak joints and muscles
- Re-educate muscles (helps your muscles contract/relax more efficiently)
- Inhibit muscles (reduce muscles “spasm”)
- Scar tissue management
Who can it help?
- Runners suffering from knee pain, Achilles pain, heel pain, arch pain
- Office workers struggling with frequent low back and neck pain while working from a computer
- People who have experienced chronic headaches and migraines
- Folks struggling to reach and lift overhead due to nagging shoulder pain
- 40+ years old and starting to deal with joint aches and pains on a more frequent basis
- Weekend warrior type having to constantly modify exercise and activity due to muscle pain
We should note that this is just one of the many treatment strategies utilized at PRO Therapy. Kinesiology tape is always applied in conjunction with hands-on treatment we provide to reduce pain and help people move more freely. It can also be the perfect treatment to help people who are nervous about moving and exercising because they do not want to make their pain worse. Most people feel the immediate impact of the tape allowing for improved ease of motion and comfort.
If you’re interested in learning more about kinesiology tape and how Physical Therapy can help YOU, feel free to call us directly at 612-767-9917 to speak with one of our expert Physical Therapists. Learn more today about PRO Therapy!